Tuesday, May 22, 2012

this is the best thing

Randy and I seem to be officially upon the season that we have waited for for the last couple years.  He got a job and I, subsequently, quit mine.  We moved across the country from comfortable and lovely Fort Collins, Colorado to the very unknown (but lovely) bay area of California.  A lot of new things to experience and digest.  A lot of things to reflect upon, and a lot of time to do so (did I mention how much I love not having a job?!). 

Loading up the truck in FC
On our move out to California, my mom and I were talking about my Grandpops briefly somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nevada.  It came to mind how, in the last few months of his life, he was always giving Randy and I (then just beginning to date) advice on "the best thing."  Grandpops was a thinker, a philosopher of heart and mind.  This didn't change in the slightest when dementia started getting the better of his mind.  His advice just got more redundant and less understandable.  Nonetheless, we would sit and listen to him talk about "the best thing" - a phrase he would use to describe just about everything about life, especially relationships, family, and marriage.  Randy and I cherished those moments.  Maybe Grandpops knew what he was saying; maybe he didn't.  Either way I'm committed to cherishing the "best thing" perspective. 


On a trail near our new condo in Moraga

That's what this blog is about.  It is the making and the living out of the best things in this new adventure, new season of life. 


Two Bears at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment